Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Revised Mission

At the outset of this blog I was determined to regularly crank out useful entries. Turning over stones everywhere and finding diamonds, but the truth of the matter is: there just aren’t that many diamonds.

Yes, I have been neglectful at times when I have been busy, and just plain lazy at others. However, there are literally 10 half-finished blog entries in my folder. Each of which has involved numerous trips to spots, picture taking, hours of thought and consideration, and time spent writing. And in the end, none of these places actually met the criteria I first set out to meet, to the extent that I didn’t feel right publishing the entries.

For instance, I have long been an advocate of Waterfalls on Atlantic ave. in Brooklyn, but the last few times that I have been there I considered it below par. It has good Syrian food and is run by a terrific Mother/Daughter duo. It was alright but I didn’t feel right selling it to my loyal readers (all 6 of you) as “worth the trip”. I like the place . . . . I do. But I came to realize that I was convincing myself it was worthy of publication on my list of favorite spots. I had had a few less-than-great meals there, that left me questioning it. Consistency, afterall, is one my main criteria. I can talk myself into or out of anything, but these things should not take convincing. They should be solidly obvious candidates for secret eats.

What I’m getting at is that the restaurants listed on my blog are not chosen lightly. They are thoroughly tested and considered, and if I’m not 100% sure, then they don’t make the cut.

That said, if you haven’t tried the places I’ve written about so far, you should. Because looking back I am still certain of their goodness and I still go back to test them as often as I can.

1 comment:

Kerrin said...

Thanks for a fantastic blog- I refer to it whenever I want to go out and check if any restaurants fall in the are I am going too....
I have tried three so far- all up to par.