Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Royale Burger

On Ave. C, between 9th & 10th streets is an unassuming little bar. Simply designed enough not to assume a drinking genre such as “pub” or “lounge”. It’s just a bar, a nice place to grab a beer, to chat with friends, or maybe watch a game. It is also, in my opinion, the very best place in New York City to get a hamburger.

A little menu suspended in a typical placard, is placed on your table when you’re seated. A short menu of bar fare: a hamburger available with bacon and/or cheese, a veggie burger for the east village vegetarians, a grilled chicken sandwich, French fries and onion rings. A normal menu, in a normal bar in the sea of bars that is Manhattan.

Until you try it. This is one fabulous hamburger. And “fabulous” is not a word I use lightly. Royale’s burger is no accident. The owners, spent months testing burgers around the city. Picking and choosing from their favorite components, they pieced together a really great Burger. Great meat from one of the last purveyors in the meat packing district, always crispy bacon, a great sesame seed bun, & pickles from the lower east side’s Pickle Guy. The price? $8 for my bacon cheeseburger, very rare please. And expect the burger cooked how you asked for it, every time.

To go with my burger, a side of fries, thin cut and perfectly crisp AND some onion rings. Some of the best I’ve ever had, anywhere . . . period. A good ratio of textured onion to light & crisp coating. Simple and common items, but done well consistently.

Royale does it with a cute and friendly staff. Maybe it’s a little out of the way, but I can assure you it is well worth the trip. I’ll see you there.



1 comment:

Jason Levinson said...

I can agree with Chef Josh on this one! I don't eat a lot of red meat, but when I do I want it to be quality. You steered me right with this place (no pun intended). I enjoy mine with an ice cold pint of Guiness.